To weld the various nationalities of the cosmopolitan city of Cleveland into a close fellowship and to acquaint their cultural background with the native citizens, a chain of cultural gardens was proposed to be designed and built by the various nationality groups each to symbolize something of that cultural background of which they were most proud of and best known.
The United Hungarian Societies of Cleveland delegated Albert A. Tudja and Stephen Gombozy to keep in touch with the movement and from time to time to report about its progress. In 1933 a committee was appointed under the auspices of the United Hungarian Societies to secure the plot of land and prepare plans for the Hungarian Garden. The committee selected a strip of land between the Shakespeare Garden in the German cultural Garden resembling the general contours of the Great Hungarian Plains and its surrounding and plans for the garden were drawn up by the landscape artists in Hungary.
In the fall of 1936 the United Hungarian Societies appointed a committee composed of the officers of the organization and several outside individuals. This committee was authorized to organize itself into the Hungarian Cultural Garden Association and to conduct the Affairs of the Garden. In the spring of 1939 a beautiful wrought iron gate — a Székely Kapu– was built and donated by the Verhovay Fraternal Insurance Association of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and on the 11th of July of the same year the garden was dedicated with fitting ceremony. A procession of about 5000 Hungarian Americans in native costumes opened the occasion that was attended by over 25,000 people. A choir of over 200 sang, noted speakers came from many parts of the country and the festival is remembered as one of the most impressive occasions of the city during the last few years.
In the spring of 1941 by authority of the United Hungarian Societies of Cleveland the Association was the organized with paying members. In December of the same year the garden was presented by the Magyar Club of Cleveland with a 40 foot flagpole and the American flag was dedicated with proper ceremony in the month of September. The Hungarian Cultural Garden Association expressed hope that the organization as well as the large Hungarian community of Cleveland Ohio will make donations from time to time to perpetuate the great work of our rich Hungarian tradition.
Source: Hungarians in America, Az Amerikai Magyarság Aranykönyve, published by Szabadság in 1941.